Monday, August 11, 2008

1st job

I have a bunch of questions too

1) I had an interview for an OJT before and it seemed like it was going well untill I started thinking that the terms were rather disadvantageous for me. Anyway, I was trying really hard not to be too honest but I think my facial expression revealed too much... The interview was very relaxed and in fact the interviewer and I were getting along pretty well... I think at first my charm was working heheh but in the end, I guess due to my obvious hesitation, the interviewer asked me to think about it and call her as soon as possible regarding my decision...The next day I decided I might as well take the OJT there since it was just an OJT anyway. I called the person who interviewed me but as I feared, she wasnt as enthusiastic. She just said she'd be in touch but as expected I wasn't called again...My concern is this... would the company/HR remember this incident if and when I apply for a job there in the near future? Keep in mind that, that was my very first interview... I was just trying to be honest cos I wouldn't have wanted to break a commitment in case another company, offering the terms I was looking for, would take me in...

2) Although I've experienced this only once: Kung mejo nababarok yung nagiinterview sayo... is it ok to slip in some tagalog words in the interview? I feel really awkward kasi whenever I'm talking to someone not as fluent (not sure if this is the approporiate word right now)... And besides... marunong naman ako magtagalog e! (Hope I'm not sounding cocky here)Finally,

3) Is a 3 page resume too long? Would it be ok to leave the title of your awards etc on their own or would it be better to include a short description of them? Finally, are fresh grads really supposed to include a section on the research papers they've prepared? I'm just following my school's format kasi e and so far... that's whats lengthening my resume...


  • do not accept a job if you are not totally happy with it. your first job is YOUR MOST important job. it will be in your resume forever.
  • your first job is also the foundation of your career. it will teach you the basics. unless of course you really need the money, then perhaps you can accept it immediately.
  • yes most hr people will remember what happened during the first interview. but its ok --- prepare for the interview. what happened the first time will probably the first asked of you when you come back. so prepare for it.
  • too many filipino companies paying their employees poorly. so dont let them get away with it.
  • its ok to use pilipino specially if the interviewer speaks in tagalog. i use tagalog to interview sometimes just for kicks, to unsettle the person i am interviewing. its the equivalent of asking left field questions. i do that to see how fast the mind of the interviewee.
  • reasearch papers? i have not seen a resume that includes that. unless of course you are applying for a researcher job. i find that unusual. i guess it depends in the industry your trying to break into. like if its in marketing/advertising, i would be more interested in leadership skills, communication skills and achievements than research papers.
  • this is my personal view : the real world at work is not really a geek's world. its more of street smart with applied intelligence than purely intellectual and scholastic.

No comments: